14 January 2008

What to Say?

I have rather enjoyed reading about what everyone is up to.  My life has been pretty uneventful for the last couple of days.  Mostly I have just had the great opportunity to enjoy a little flu bug.   Not fun but it could be worse.  I did get to stay home from church, but not until after I went to ward counsel for about 1 hr 45 min and had a presidency meeting for 40 min .  So much for a relaxing Sabbath morning while fighting the flu.  :)

I did have a question for Justin or Heather or anyone else who knows.  My trainer wants me to do 40 min 5 x's per week of cardio.  I usually run since I can do that at home, but I'm also trying to incorporate more weight lifting.  She is showing me some good workout stuff, but I guess my question is how often should you lift.   If I remember way back from my weight training class I believe you shouldn't lift two days in a row because your muscles need time to repair.  Does that sounds right?  Also, I was wondering Heather what you did when you met with your trainer.  She'll do whatever I asked but I was just curious what you did with yours.  Well, thanks for listening!  Any advice is welcome!

3 comments:

Justin said...

Liz, It is true, you do not want to lift the same muscle groups two days in a row, but if you lift different muscle groups, lifting every day is just fine. In my weight training I have chosen to separate muscle groups by upper and lower body. This seems to give my body time to recuperate and be fresh for the next lift. Today my legs don't work, and next time I lift, my arms won't work! It also depends on how intense your lifting is, and how many muscle groups you cover. If you do a complete-body lift routine, I would recommend just lifting three times a week. That will be good for toning, and won't drain you, but give you more energy as your body builds muscle in place of fat (this way, because you have a greater percentage of muscle, your body exerts less energy to carryout daily tasks). See what Heather says, but that is what I would do, three times a week.

Liz said...

Thanks! When I meet with my trainer we work every muscle imaginable. I have muscles I didn't even know about! Three times each week sounds like a great plan! Thanks for the advise!

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.