27 January 2008

Warblings from your wanderer

I'm worried that when I open my computer one of these days the screen is just going to break the rest of the way off. Not good for a laptop...they aren't much good without the attached screen. This is seems to be the least of my worries. Not that I really have any real worries, but nonetheless, life seems to be full of opportunities to become more today than we were yesterday. I became more today than I was yesterday by actively working toward a decision I have made to pursue law. I know, I'm not going to graduate still for another two years, and there is no saying that I won't change my mind three more times before I get done, but doing something, anything, is so far superior to doing nothing that they don't compare, only when viewed from the standpoint of acting, or being acted upon. Act. My actions today were nothing significant, merely attendance at BYU's annual Law School Conference. I found it to be highly educational and useful, especially as I spoke with Judge Thomas B. Griffith, appointed as DC Circuit Court Judge in 2005. He was my stake president once before my mission...cool by association. He works in D.C., and I need something to do this summer. I didn't get anything more than hope, but hope brings direction, and that is what I need.

One suggestion...don't fight with girls in the snow, especially if the said girl was a wrestler. Don't let the beauty fool you. The most fair fight I have ever fought.

If you haven't ever watched Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet...don't. One, it is over four hours long. Two, you can't enjoy it because you are always trying to interpret what they are saying into a language that is understood by people like me. Three, it is over four hours long. Four, everyone you grow fond of in the film (ALL of the main roles) are dead by the end of the film. Quite depressing. Fifth, because it is so long, no girl is going to want to sit down and watch it with you. Yeah, don't watch it, cause you can't rent it, you would have to buy it. Don't waste your money, send it to me, instead!

My mind has been seeming to not be working as it is expected to tonight (yes, I have expectations for my daily mental capacity, but today there were...difficulties). Alright, so it wasn't just tonight, but it has been all week. I have found myself constantly at a loss for words as my mind thinks in a language other than the one the person across from me is speaking. Usually it is not too much of a problem, but this week I have found several instances where I have not been able to translate from one medium (whether that be language, genre, or idea) to another. The frustrating thing is that I know the meaning of whatever it is I'm trying to process, but I can't make the transition of that meaning into a new form. What is the cause? I have only the lack of sleep to blame. That or I am really losing my mind. Both are veritable possibilities.

No comments: