22 January 2008

What to do when Single...?

I have only a few moments before I run off to my first evening class of the day (I have two evening courses, both on Tuesdays), but feel inclined, as mother puts it, to philosophize. Yes, I don't know quite what she means by that, but I will write what is running through my head and hope it meets her expectations.

I am single. I have not a girlfriend to buy gifts for. I have not a car to pay for. I have a diamond already. I have not tuition to pay for. I have not rent to pay, nor food to buy (James, please don't be bitter about that one). And so I find myself wondering what it is that I should do with the money that I make, because I do have a job! Spending the weekend with Bryce and Michelle brought this question to mind, as being with them always brings new questions to mind. In their generosity (and half-asleep state) they suggested that while I am living in such prosperous circumstances, aside from saving money, I should purchase things that I want. Yeah, haven't ever really done that before! Nothing really came to mind at that time, but upon traversing Rock Canyon on a snowy Martin Luther King, Jr. day with friends, I discovered that there really are things that I want! Like a coat that won't be a sheet of ice (literally, it was frozen solid) after a morning frolicking through the snow! And waterproof boots would be nice too. Simple things for simple minded people, but it took a long day in the snow to realize that these were things that I want (I can't go so far as to say I need them). As the winter season is drawing to a midpoint, the sales will start soon, and there I will find the first of my "I am single and have no bills to pay" investments. Have a nice day.

No comments: