23 January 2008

Lots of time to think

It's barely snowing outside. It's been that way most of the day. It's beautiful and peaceful. Just like it should be. Here I am in my lovely green "library", with an awesome ice machine (thanks to Joe) strapped to my leg, keeping the swelling down in my knees. I spend a good portion of my day here. I have been kind of limited to the chairs I could sit in, they have to have arms (so I can push myself up and gently let myself down) and they can't sink too far, or I just can't get out of them. When I sat down here just a few minutes ago, however, I sat without the aid of the arms. Whoot! Whoot! And, earlier today, I walked up the stairs without crutches to push me up. It was still slow, but nonetheless, unaided (except for the handrail). My body is healing. Every once in a while, my knee will pop to the side (which it is not supposed to) and it does cause pain, but generally not as excruciating as before.

My down time has been interesting. And, as I can see it is coming closer to an end, I must say, I am grateful. The few weeks leading up to my injury and even the week after were tough mentally, emotionally and physically. It's an amazing thing the way such a scary thing can bring peace into my life. It has given me time to contemplate, to step back and see my life in a little different perspective. It has helped me to see the things that are truly important. It's also helped me to see that my life, despite my desires, is much more calmly lived on the Lord's time.
Maybe it will help me to worry a little less, to enjoy the simple things--like sleeping on my side, not my back, carrying laundry up and down the stairs, putting on my socks-- to lose some weight--Heather and I signed me up for weight watcher's online, -2 pounds already--I don't want to be gimpy forever (or ever again for that matter). It's given me time to contemplate my relationship with my family and to understand the importance of all of you in my life.

I'm sure my life will speed up again, and how grateful I am for that also. I'm anxious to see Dad's world in Washington, DC., to continue to fix up my home--to sell, or not to sell--to get seminary back in the basement, to vacuum the floor; but, I have to say, it's wonderful to have time to just sit back and remember how happy and blessed I really am.

No comments: