27 August 2009

Seminary - Book of Mormon

I prepared my first seminary lesson of the year today. Man, I love teaching seminary. Anyway, I feel that our focus this year needs to be on finding Christ in The Book of Mormon. Did you know that:
Christ is spoken of in every 1.7 verses of the Book of Mormon as compared to the New Testament where he is mentioned only every 2.4 verses?
There are over 100 different names for the Savior in the Book of Mormon?
The Book of Mormon has been translated into over 100 languages, like Bislama, Igbo, Neomelanesian, Kekchi, Sinhala (one of two official languages of Sri Lanka), Papiamento, Bikolano, Quiche, etc., etc.?
The deep emotions involving the Lord's attributes of love are recorded 211 times, while the judgmental passions of God are recorded 99 times. This illustrates that the Lord showed forth doubly (two to one) his passions of love?
Open the book to nearly any page and you should be able to know something additional about Jesus Christ?

I am so blessed to have this calling. If you come across any wonderful tidbits of inspiration as you study the Book of Mormon, please share with me!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is my thought.

3 Nephi 17:3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.

How awesome that the words ponder, understand and prepare are mentioned in this verse. I apply this verse to listening to any conference in this way. We will be blessed to hear counsel and revelation, for us, through the servants of the Lord. We cannot forget D&C 1:39. Hence the commandment to "ponder upon the things which I have said". I love that the Lord doesn't expect us to understand everything right away, thus the command is to pray that we might understand. And as we know, answers may not always come immediately after our prayers. Thus the need to "prepare [our] minds for the morrow". The Lord has promised to revisit us again tomorrow. All of this because of pondering, praying, and preparing.

Elder Gene R. Cook taught "When it comes to prayer and revelation, our minds need to be active and engaged if we hope to receive answers from the Lord. If we simply wait passively for something to come into our empty minds, we'll wait a long time...Pondering and studying things out in our minds is part of that process" (Receiving Answers to Our Prayers, pg. 38)

Mom said...

Thanks, Joe.