03 February 2010

When we talked to Mom she said we should blog about things. When I told her I worried that everyone was sick of hearing me talk, she informed me that my last post hasn't been for a week and that no one is sick of me blogging.

Here are a few stories. I'll make Justin blog about our Shanghai trip and all that.

When we first went grocery shopping I told Justin I needed some non-scented lotion. We picked out a bottle of Dove that said "moisture milk" with a bunch of characters. He didn't know all of the characters, but we thought it was probably lotion, so we got it. We got home and I rubbed it all over my legs and chapped nose. I noted it had a strange consistency, but thought it was just a weird Chinese kind of lotion. The next morning, Justin looked up more of the characters and found out it's body wash.

One of my favorite foods is the burrito-type thing I had a picture of on our blog. The first time I went to order by myself I couldn't remember for the life of me how to say "No spice" and it was REALLY spicy. I had trouble eating it, but now I always order it with spice.

We can't talk about the church here. At all. If someone inquires about our religion, we are only permitted to say the name of our church and then close the discussion. The other day we were in a store and a man asked us "Are you from Utah?" We said yes and asked how he knew. He saw Justin's BYU hat. He was a convert who had been introduced to the church and baptized in Hong Kong. But, because he holds a Chinese passport, we couldn't talk to him about the church. It was hard for us to walk away and say nothing. It’s a strange situation with the church here. There are Chinese natives who are members, but they’re not allowed to meet with foreign members. China’s thing is that they’ll allow freedom of belief/religion but not outside influences.

Jaime is changing so much. She’s really active and craves new things to look at, and believe me she gets a lot of that here. She’s starting to grab things with her hands and is talking a bunch. Soon I’ll get to start baby foods for her and I’m excited - mostly because this means I won’t be the only one who can feed her. I’ll be making my own because Chinese baby food is questionable. The people here just can’t get enough of her. People stop and say stuff as we walk by and we just have to keep walking, otherwise we’d be stopping all the time. If we do stop and talk, usually a handful of people stop and talk to us and sometimes a big crowd. It’s crazy. They love to hold her and she doesn’t mind it. The other day in the market when everyone was telling us she wasn't dressed warm enough, Justin said in Chinese "Foreigners don't fear the cold!" and they all thought that was very funny.

Love you guys.

4 comments:

James said...

Mom's right—we'll never tire of your stories! What delightful adventures; I definitely think we should come share some with you.

Liz said...

I agree! We will probably never live in China and love experiencing it vicariously through you!

Heather said...

I love it! Keep the stories coming.

Michelle Packard said...

Jodi, I miss you and I also love your stories. Keep them coming.