14 February 2010

Fish Tales

On Chinese New Year's Eve we ate dinner at a member's house and it was an extravagant meal. I tried a few things and was sticking to them, but ventured out to a dish that looked like celery and shredded chicken. It came highly recommended. I took a bite and quickly realized it was celery and fish. It wasn't too bad, so I just added some spicy soy sauce to it and kept eating. I noticed one of the pieces of shredded chicken had a black dot. I thought, what is that? I then noticed there were two black dots, and that all of the pieces of chicken had them. Yeah, not chicken. Each was a skinny little fish. I was glad I only figured that out near the end of my serving.

After the dinner, there were New Year's treats served. I went straight for the brightest, shiniest packaged candy. I was almost positive it contained a sweet hard candy. I opened it to find a small grainy cube that looked like bouillon. I popped it in my mouth and found that it was in fact a spiced fish cube. I didn't try another.

Tonight for dinner there was an assortment of delicious dishes including one plate containing three fish, cooked whole with bones, eyes and all. I explained to Justin that I can usually tell whether I'll like something by the look of it. He asked what on the table I'd like. I said, "Everything but the fish." He asked "Why? Because it has eyeballs?" and continued "You can't judge a fish by its eyeballs." For the record, I did try the fish, and it was good. Okay, so I was wrong. Maybe I shouldn't judge a fish by its eyeballs.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I have yet to learn the lesson. I would still judge a fish by its eyeballs. What a brave new world you are experiencing.

James said...

FISH! I do hope you survive! Liz would feel the same way, of course. I think shredded chicken with eyeballs sounds much cooler.

Dad said...

Did you eat the eyeballs or leave those to Justin?

Michelle Packard said...

Your blogs make me so happy. Always something to look forward to!