12 February 2010

My Birthday


Hi family. I had a great birthday. I got to go to the temple, had a great dinner, and great treats. My favorite part was being with everyone and having a good time, despite the fact I didn't understand hardly anything anyone said the whole night. When there's humor and happiness, you can just feel it and it makes it fun no matter what. My cake was awesome and tasted so good. We had a pastry shop make it for me. It was chocolate with a layer of pudding and a layer of blueberry stuff. But honestly, the ice cream was the most incredible part. I've never seen ice cream like that and the pictures don't do it justice. And my Chinese vest is super cool. These people are so nice, and there's no way to repay them or even thank them for all they've done for us. They love Justin so much, and Jaime and I simply because we're his family. Everyone says that Jaime looks like a cute Western doll that moves. It's hilarious. She smiles at everyone, but loves Sister Ye the best, which is so cute.

Yummy goodness. The frosting was so much better than what's on American store-bought cake. Not the fake stuff and also not the too-heavy creamy stuff.

This stroller thing is AWESOME! Sister Ye is letting us use the stroller she used with all of her kids and the thing is still going strong. Jaime loves to look around, whether in our arms or in this stroller, and this is definitely easier on our backs and keeps us cooler in this warm weather.

This is one reason why China and Taiwan are awesome. There are tons of Chinese women around who love to take care of Jaime.

Michelle,
The Chinese and Taiwanese don't have any fun birthday traditions that I know about. I did get to try a new food that is feared by many: stinky tofu! I actually really liked it. I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't. But, Sister Ye says I'm not a regular Western girl. In terms of food in general, there's been a lot and it's all been very good. Justin warned me that I might want to loose 10 lbs before we come to Taiwan because I'd gain 15 lbs while I was here, and I think I'm pretty much on that track...besides all of the amazing American food that the Ye family gets from Costco, Taiwan food is much better than Chinese food.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for sharing your birthday with us! We are so excited for you to have the experiences in Taiwan. We found the same thing about the Ye family--they loved us just because we were Justin's family. We are thrilled for you to experience Taiwan with Justin and the Ye family!

James said...

What an amazing birthday! I'm so glad you posted here. I want that cake like nobody's business, green goo and all! You know, not everyone gets to visit another country for their birthday—you spoiled girl!

Michelle Packard said...

I agree with James...the cake looks fantastic. Maybe you could learn to make it and amaze us all at the next family reunion! What did you get for your birthday! Love you and wondering what your Chinese vest looks like.

Jodi said...

I take back what I said about the stinky tofu. We walked past more potent stinky tofu at a night market last night and I almost threw up. So yeah, fear it.

For my birthday, I got: candy, chocolate, picture frames, the vest, a rose, and my cake. For Valentines Day I get a pearl necklace. What do you all get for Valentines Day?