05 February 2010

One Hole Shy

It was good to talk with everyone yesterday and I thank you for your faith, fasting, prayers and love. This has been a very spiritual week and I would like to share some of it with you. It started Sunday with our fast. Church services and meetings were canceled due to snow so we had a stay at home sabbath. We had a devotional in the afternoon and then closed our fast around 16:30. When we knelt to pray the feeling of the Spirit was very strong and we were all filled with a great peace.

Monday there was the pre-surgery visit where they took blood and did an EKG and then the "gas man" talked with me. it was one of the better experiences I have had with a pre-surgery visit and it brought a great deal of comfort to mom. She worries about me so very much and when the EKG and blood tests are all normal, she has a greater peach. now just have to get the stress out to get the BP in line. Actually have made great progress over the past week and a half.

I had been pondering whom I wanted to administer to me for this procedure. Our home teachers came on Sunday and I openly told them that there was a surgery scheduled for Thursday. Nothing registered or if it did, nothing was offered, blessing, meals, shoveling, transportation, nothing. Because of this there was a high level of discomfort in asking them. As I pondered, my feelings were to ask Brother John Sweeney, our High Priest Group Leader and a good friend. He was honored, I gave a couple of suggestions for companion that I would feel comfortable with and we agreed to meet at our home at 18:00.

When they arrived we had just finished dinner and for me the clock mark of when I had to stop eating. We gathered in the living room and invited Leah Utz, Marquie's friend and Diana to also join us. It was evident from the beginning that the Spirit was strong. Marquie offered a prayer and we chatted for just a moment. Brother Sweeney shared that after I called he was pondering what more he could do to be prepared and decided that while it was only part of the day, he could fast. I was deeply touched and thought of a story that Elder Matthew Cowley shared on being prepared to use our priesthood. Brother Karnes anointed and Brother Sweeney sealed. I was quite amazed that during the blessing, only about 10-15 seconds were given to my surgery and it was a very matter-of-fact "reference". I was told that getting the surgery done was righteous and then he moved on to bless me to be strengthened and prepared to do what the Lord had in store and it was time to be prepared.

Brother Karnes left and we chatted with the Sweeney's (Sister Sweeney also came) for a few minutes and Brother Sweeney shared with us that as he pondered and prayed for guidance he was promoted continually that the Lord had a work for me to do and I need to get my physical in order and doing so yesterday was in keeping with his will.

Well, even through the blessing for the surgery was almost non-existent, it did the job. As you all know they checked me into the hospital due to concerns of pain because the surgeon did so much invasive work. Well, I must say that I am amazed, truly, that the pain is as minimal as it is. Coughing is no fun but I am able to move about and overall, unless I am moving it is only a minor irritation.

Family, this is a testimony. Please listen and please share with your children. The Lord takes care of those who come to him and do all they can do to prepare. I am greatly blessed and know that I will heal quickly.

Oh, "one hole shy"? An executive golf course has nine holes. I have eight in my belly (No pictures!). Yes, there was a great deal of work done. Love you all.

2 comments:

James said...

I'm glad to hear things went so well. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Heather said...

I feel your pain, but am excited for whatever the Lord has in store for you.