18 September 2012

Tuesday Memories

OK, I admit I am trying to generate another day of blogs...

I am sitting at "a" desk at our headquarters offices in the Willis Tower "savoring" a lunch that has mashed potatoes and gravy.  I put pepper on the potatoes and had a memory that I thought, hum, grandpa story and then I thought, no just a Tuesday memory.

My cousin (actually my first cousin once removed because his father was actually my cousin) and I were sitting at a ward dinner in the gymnasium in the old South Jordan Elementary school and we decided that we really knew how to have potatoes and gravy.  Put the potatoes on the plate, salt and pepper and then add the gravel and then salt and pepper.  I do not remember my age, had to be less than 8, but it is a good memory.

OK, background:
  • Mike was a year older than me and was a bit rowdy.  OK, a lot rowdy!  None-the-less, we were good friends as cousins and because we were close in age.  Mike passed away several years ago as a very young man, in his forties.  He lived a hard life.  I met his son's at David Palmer's funeral (his father)
  • The Gymnasium:  The meetinghouse of my youth (Still stands on 1300 west in South Jordan just north of 10400 south and is a private home/studio for Ed Fraughten the sculptor) had no cultural hall so all of the socials were held at the school.  Back then, it was community and, well, most everyone was a member of the church and so there was really no distinction.
  • The meal was prepared by Sister Holt who was the school lunch cook.  She used the school facilities in the basement of the gymnasium
  • I know I was younger than eight because we moved into the new meetinghouse a few months after I was baptized.
OK, my memory for the day.  

2 comments:

Heather said...

Makes me want to sit and chat again. We need a great big family "sit and chat".

Justin said...

Agreed.