25 February 2011

Messing with tradition

So, in my need to make and use what I had on hand, I have discovered it is o.k. to mess with tradition. A few weeks ago, I was making bread. Imagine my annoyance when I grabbed the salt and it was almost gone. I was already making, so I used what I had. It was only about 1 Tb. I hoped it would turn out. When the kids ate it, they asked what I had done, because it was the best bread I had ever made. So, 1Tb of salt has stuck. It really is yummy.

Next, I was making my strawberry freezer jam, which I love, but was a little short on fruit. I juiced a grapefruit and added it. It was about 1/2 cup grapefruit juice to 3 1/2 cups strawberry puree. I also used the demerara sugar. I cooked the jam at a low temp just to dissolve the sugar. The finished product is thick enough it doesn't have to be frozen and tastes AMAZING. It tastes like the best homemade fruit roll up ever. Like the ones mom used to make.

Last, would be the oh so yummy tuna salad. I was making a large batch and found I did not have enough mayo. Ahhhh. So, I put in sour cream instead. Oh, definitely doing a half and half from now on. So yummy.

Hope you enjoyed my fill in accidental yummy creations!

No comments: