15 January 2010

Still Alive

So, we've been rather negligent in our blogging duties, but I'll try to atone with a quick update from Western Illinois.

We survived the holidays, and they were a joy! We missed seeing Bryce and Michelle, but delighted in spending time with everyone else, especially Mom, Dad, Marquie, and Diana who spent Christmas with us. It was wonderful to have them in our home and to share the busy, crazy, cold, exciting time with them. For New Years we got to spend a few days with the Petersens and little brother Hutchings. It was crazy times in that house, and we loved it; we played games, and laughed and cooked and shared the love. Love is good.

With the new year we're already running like crazy people. Michael has started playing basketball, and he's really getting into it. His first game is in the morning, and he never refers to it as anything expect "the big game." He's getting so big and so grown up. Some days I'm afraid that he'll never really know childhood despite our best efforts to force it on him. He's recently developed a sense of humor and is, for better or worse, starting to correctly use and understand verbal tools like non-critical sarcasm and teasing.

Joshua is, well, Joshua. He loves to play and he has newly immersed himself of books of all types. Whereas Michael adores nonfiction and simply enjoys fiction, Joshua basks in exciting stories and tale of all types. He set a goal this year to read fifty pages every day, and I'm pretty sure he's accomplished it thus far. Right now he's particularly fond of the Geronimo Stilton books and loves to follow that little mouse on his amazing adventures around the world.

Jacob is wonderful and adorable. This week he's practicing sneaking around the house like a fossa in order to complete simple tasks, like going to the bathroom. He loves to laugh and play and is getting better at identifying letters, numbers, and colors. Yesterday he came to me whimpering because he "bumped his toe on the carpet." It only took a second to see the blood running down his foot and to find a huge flap of skin hanging off his toe. Still no idea how that happened or where; some days are a mystery with this one.

Liz is enjoying her new full-time job and her new calling as the Young Women's President. She is so humble, insisting that she knows nothing about what she's doing, but she's obviously doing something right. She's helped increase attendance at activities, and the girls really seem to like her, even though she's "no fun" (her words, not mine.) She's currently planning a special temple trip for her Young Women. I'm in awe of her focus on the temple; this will be the second special temple activity she's pioneered for the youth in just a few months. It's nice to have Nauvoo within an hour or so, and even nicer to have a youth leader who points her youth to the temple. She is, as always, amazing as she balances her work, her teaching the boys, her church calling, and her moments to stop and give me a gentle hug. I am so blessed.

I'm busy as ever. I hit the ground running this semester, and already I can tell that my planning has paid off. I feel better organized, more prepared, and more able to take care of my students and myself. I submitted my first tenure report today, a comprehensive stack of evidence of ways that I've performed my duties, to be placed in my permanent file. I have to do three of these before I earn tenure, and I'm happy to say I'm 1/3 done with those. If all goes well, I should be enjoying tenure in the spring of 2012. Right now I'm in the midst of poring over the score for our Spring Musical, The Baker's Wife. It's going to be amazing, and I'm excited to jump into musical theater from a director's standpoint. Luckily I'm really only in charge of the music; it's a good way to start. I'm trying to convince Liz to play flute for me in the orchestra, but I don't know if she'll be up for it. I'm loving being back at work; that break was almost too long for me, although I don't think I'll feel the same way about summer.

Things are good for us overall. We're making big plans for this year (we hope!) that include a giant garden, kitchen/living/dining renovation, some family travel time, and maybe, if the stars align perfectly, a special 10th anniversary trip for me and my love. We're continually grateful for all that the Lord has given us and the trust he places in us to give us such great sons, and opportunities to use the gifts he has given us. At the end of every day we are exhausted, but things are good, just as they should be.

We love you, and we'll try to be better bloggers!

4 comments:

Michelle Packard said...

Awhhh....I love you guys and I'm so glad your doing so well. I'm so lucky to know and love such amazing people.

Mom said...

What is a fassa? The thing I can relate to is Mufassa in Lion King. What a great blog! Thanks for posting!

James said...

It's a dog-like animal indigenous to Madagascar. I'm sure Michael discovered them in an encyclopedia of obscure canines, but Jacob discovered them while watching . . . Madagascar, of course!

Justin said...

I sure do hope you are planning that special 10th anniversary trip to China! Things are pretty fun here, and I know both of you love to shop, and shopping here is GOOD! Love you guys!