10 November 2009

Validation

Justin has been working really hard on validating my feelings. He learned the concept during education week this year and learned a trick - to repeat the "feeling" work that I used in his validating response.

As you might expect, he's taken this a little bit far. He validates everything I say, feelings or not, and uses my exact words back at me. Today, when I told him that I saw a gray kitty in some autumn leaves that I thought was really cute he said, "I'm sure it was really cute." Later, when I told him that I don't like to have a full email inbox he said, "Good for you, for not liking to have a full email inbox."

Now, we are working on validating feelings only, and doing it in a more inconspicuous way. I asked him to try saying something simple like "I bet it was" or "Sounds like it." Shortly thereafter he said "What was that line you told me to say again?"

We're still working on it :)

4 comments:

Justin said...

In my own defense: I validate EVERYTHING for fear that I will miss something VERY important, and then be in a great deal of trouble. Half the time she doesn't even notice I am repeating back what she said :)

Mom said...

Good for you, Justin, for trying so hard to be the perfect husband. And, good for you Jodi, for working so hard at tempering his perfectionitist! How wonderful that you can both see the humor in the situation! You made me smile.

James said...

You are such a cute couple of nearly newlyweds. I love it, and kudos to Jodi for patience! We Hutchings men are a stubborn breed!

Michelle Packard said...

Thanks for the entertainment! Love you both!