11 November 2009

I have a full time job!

Now that I think I have thoroughly confused Jodi on facebook I thought it might just be best to post my good news for all to see and clarify. :)

As you might know I teach for three different schools as an adjunct instructor. Adjunct means that I am a part-time employee that is hired contractually to teach classes. They can give me classes or not there is no permanent agreement. This is good for both parties but is limited and leaves instructors very disconnected from the schools.

I always make sure I show an interest in being a full-time instructor (online only, of course) but one school does not have full time online, the second only hires full time if you have a phd which I obviously do not and the third mentioned last year that there might be an option of being full-tim next year. So, as next year rolled around and as I had a class canceled because I had reached the max for an adjunct I again mentioned that I was interested in teaching more. I just happened to mention it the day before he got word that he was going to be able to hire two full time math instructors. I do my job well and so we had an 'interview' the following week and we both agreed that it would be a good move. I love that interviews have become a chance for both of us to really discuss if it would be a good fit without the games! He submitted my name to the dean and from there it is was just a matter of making sure I didn't have a shady past. :) And yes, I mean that literally as he verified that before he submitted my name. He also verified that my Bachelor's degree was earned in the US. Interesting? The questions in interviews are getting stranger and stranger.

Well, today he e-mailed and said that all was a go as soon as the proper paperwork is filled out! Yippee!

So, what does this really mean? That is a good question and I am glad you asked. ;) It means that I will get benefits (and hopefully reduce how much we are paying for medical insurance--by A LOT), bonuses (this might be my favorite part), and I can teach fewer classes at one of the other schools I teach for--you know the one with the chats. Between my ability to drop a class and a change in their policies I will go from teaching 6 chats per week to teaching 2! That means when I come to visit I will be much more fun! And that is the best part of all! So, there is my good news which I am very excited about and now you can be excited with me and hopefully it makes a little sense. :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

So come see me!

Jodi said...

Yes, it does make sense. Thank you for explaining, and how exciting!

Mom said...

GO LIZ!!!!!

Marquie said...

Yay!! That is so exciting! Congratulations! =)

Michelle Packard said...

Liz that's awsome! Congrats!