29 June 2009

Girl's Camp

Last time I went to girl's camp, I was sure it would be my last; so, I'll not say this should be my last time at girl's camp, but I can say, I was definitely one of the oldest sisters there--at least in the top 5. But as usual, it was a great experience, despite a few communication issues with mothers of our girls, and the fact that the toilets flushed only every 15 minutes, and not at all if the showers were being used (sometimes the showers would just stop working halfway through the shower--a water pressure issue.)

I realized, again, that girl's camp is not about teaching skills, although that keeps the girls busy, it's all about testimonies and unity, etc. James, you will be happy to know that nearly every young woman that bore her testimony actually bore her testimony of the Savior, of the Book of Mormon, of the modern prophets. We had very few "friend-a-monies".

I played a double role in camp this year--young women's president of the Front Royal Ward and Stake Camp Committee. It kept me busier than I had imagined, but it was great to be on the Stake Committee, because I got to know so many more people than I would have otherwise.

All in all, I would have to say it was a tremendous learning and growing opportunity for me. I LOVED IT! Kind of sad to be back in the real world with cell phones and tv's and worries. But, it was nice to be back with Dad. Girl's camp is the one week ever that we do not communicate, even when he is halfway around the world, we talk to each other. Maybe next year, if there is a next year, I can talk him into taking the whole week off and spending it there with me?????

By the way, Marquie was stellar YCL, but that's a post for her.

2 comments:

James said...

I am happy to hear that! I'm glad it was such a great experience!

Michelle Packard said...

Mom, I'm glad it was so great...but that whole water issue in the bathrooms makes my heart go out to you...love ya