13 February 2008

Life's Contemplations


So, I've had this experience mulling around in my mind the last few days I would like to share. First of all, attending the funeral of a sister in law makes me feel rather vulnerable. Especially in light of my recent "handicap" and beginning to see myself age. (We saw a lot upper middle aged people at the funeral that we went to school with). Very enlightening.

Anyway, that's not the experience I wanted to share with you.

As we flew back to Chicago--first class, may I add--I looked out the window. WOW! SO BRIGHT--the sun reflecting off the limitless clouds. All I could see was big billowy white clouds. It made me very grateful that there was someone watching instruments in the cockpit. It occurred to me that when we came out of the clouds, which I assumed we would have to to land, that we could be anywhere. I'm sure there is a time in flight history when no one would have been able to fly on that very cloudy day, or at least would have to have flown very low.

Okay, now the parable...isn't this just like life, flying in a plane. Don't we go through life, usually in the bright sunshine, but with a very limited view of where we are flying. We can see only a few "feet" below and we assume we are going in the right direction. However, without our "pilot", who is so experienced and well trained on the instruments, we could end up anywhere. Along the way, we have a few bumps, some times are rough, some times are very smooth sailing, but all along, the pilot knows where we are going.

About 20 minutes from the end of the flight, we began to descend into the clouds. During that time, I could see nothing but the fog we were enveloped in. Things were pretty dim and gloomy, but still, the pilot knew where we were going and the plane kept flying.

Maybe three minutes before we landed, we came out of the clouds and what do you know, we were right there at O'Hare. All the time, the pilot knew where we were going and brought us safely home. Despite my lack of vision, I was where I needed and wanted to be.

Hope you have a bright, cloudless day!!!!

Mom

1 comment:

Justin said...

Mom, you are amazing! Thank you for the insight, I love relating the things we do everyday to the Gospel as it helps me keep a more positive outlook on life as I pass through it :) Have a beautiful day, I love you!