16 January 2015

From Mom and Dad for a Friday

We have so enjoyed the pictures and message from texting (although Dad does not get them), Facebook and our blog.  As I said, I love the blog because it is helping create and preserve our history. 

Thought I would share some older and not so older family pictures.

Finally, I was no longer the youngest.  Brenda, the oldest grandchild of Theron and Vida, and I shared a wonderful bond, she being only 6 1/2 years younger than I and while I was her uncle, we were as close as any brother and sister.  The day I received the call that she had succumbed to a blood clot is burned into my memory.  We were living in Denver and I sat and sobbed.  When she was courting Gordon she came to me because she didn't know how to handle an issue.  It seems that She and Gordon knelt and prayed often but he would never hold her hand and she didn't know how to handle it.  I remember telling her to just ask him.  She did and the answer was "I do not want to be distracted when I am praying.  Case closed, marriage date set...

February 9, 1985 we gathered to celebrate Theron and Vida's 50th wedding anniversary.  This picture represents all of the family except Lee who was serving his mission.  Brenda, second from the right, is holding Gordon IV, the oldest great-grandchild of Theron and Vida.  Lee Roberts, grandson of Lee A. Palmer, who was pulled in by Larry and Beverly, is in the back center, yes the tall one.  Lee was killed while serving his mission in Michigan.  His untimely death closed the opportunity for Lee Palmer to have a righteous posterity. 

I have always appreciated seeing the "family", parents, children and spouses in group pictures.  For those families that preceded me, it helps me place the members of the family together.   
Hope you enjoy. 

2 comments:

Heather said...

Collin's eyes squint just like yours in that first picture every time he smiles.

Jodi said...

I thought that first picture looked like Ethan!

I love these pictures and stories.