01 August 2014

An Ohio Photo Friday



This week I traveled for work from Pittsburgh to Detroit, with a stop in the Cleveland area. It was not until I was driving into the Cleveland area from Pittsburgh that Mum told me Kirtland was in the vicinity. I assessed my schedule and determined I had time to visit, and visit I did!

The Isac Morley Farm (Kirtland, OH) - Joseph and Emma stayed here for 6 months after arriving in Kirtland. The Morley family owned a large and very prosperous farm, and built Joseph and Emma a small home on their property. There was a schoolhouse on the property where the Priesthood Session of the 4th General Conference was held, and where High Priests were first ordained. There were manifestations of both Christ and The Father at the schoolhouse. The tree I'm standing in front of is more than 200 years old… Makes you think.
The John Johnson Farm (Hyram, OH) - Joseph and Emma lived in the John Johnson home for more than a year. This is where D&C 76 was received (thus manifestations of both Christ and The Father). This is also where Joseph was dragged from his bed and tarred and feathered. The home and property was sold to provide a down payment on the Kirtland Temple property. The home and land remained in the same family for four generations, and was well maintained. 85% of the home is original.
The Newell K. Whitney Store (Kirtland, OH) - If you remember this: "Thou art the man! I am Joseph the Prophet. You prayed me here; now what do you want of me?" Joseph and Emma lived in the upstairs of the store, also where the School of the Prophets was located, and where the Word of Wisdom was received. A busy street used to run right in front of this building. When the Church was purchasing property in Kirtland, they were running into issues with the city council on re-routing the main road through the town. During that process, Steve Young was photographed on the cover of Sports Illustrated wearing a Kirtland shirt under his practice jersey. It moved conversations along very quickly.

The School of the Prophets - Upwards of 25 men would sit in this room. The day the Word of Wisdom was received, 20 of 21 men in attendance were using tobacco. After Joseph shared with them the revelation, they each in turn broke their pipes and threw them in the fire. These pipes were later found in excavation of the ashery.
 
The Kirtland Temple - This was a very interesting experience, as I felt conflicted between the spirit I felt should have resided there, but which did not. The building is magnificent, and grounds beautiful, with marvelous events having taken place while it was in use as a temple. Now, though, it is merely a shell maintained by those who are lacking in the full truth and power of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
I speak often with Jodi about the lack of opportunity I have on my travels to enjoy where I go. I took the time, though, on this trip, to enjoy a sacred adventure that was extremely rewarding and educational. I am so grateful for the truths we have, the sacrifice of those who made possible the worldwide Church we are a part of today. The power of their faith still burns strongly in their homes. If you have the chance, go. Visit these places.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm glad you got to do something fun on your trip! We enjoyed our visit to Kirtland a few years back. We got to enjoy it with Grandma and Grandpa Workman which was the best. I agree that the lack of spirit at the temple is quite sad. Hopefully one day the church will own it again.

Michelle Packard said...

That's just awesome!