21 November 2010

Sabbath thoughts

Admittedly, I am not at church right now. Jaime and I haven't been feeling well, and while we did attend sacrament meeting today, we didn't feel comfortable sharing our germs with those in nursery. Had you heard that Justin and I are now in nursery? Yep, we are. We were called the primary board and were given the choice of being the teachers of the 6-7 year olds or being in nursery. We chose nursery hands down, for Jaime's sake. She doesn't quite understand social interaction like the other kids in there, but she'll get there.

Anyway, I wanted to take this opportunity to share a thought I've been mulling over lately regarding motherhood. My insight came about as I found myself wishing I had a greater capacity to serve other people. I wish I had the time and lack of obligations that would allow me to drop everything and help someone who needs it. At the time, I also didn't have a car to use. As a mother, with a husband that is gone at work everyday all day (and all night 2 nights a week), that is impossible. But, I got to thinking, what I do everyday isn't just the boring and frustrating duties of a mother, it is service. What more do we do as mothers than to clothe the naked, feed the hungry and minister to those that are sick and afflicted (Jacob 2:19)? How many times as mothers do we bless those that yell at us (in Jaime's case, quite loudly) and do good unto those that despitefully use us and persecute us (3 Nephi 12:44)?

So, my thought is that motherhood can be hard. It is hard to take care of screaming kids that only want to fight you when you are trying to help. They refuse to eat, make it difficult for you to change them, and sometimes deliberately make messes for you to clean up. But, I can't think of a better description of service than the job description of a mother. So, motherhood, bring it on!

2 comments:

James said...

AMEN! Beautiful thoughts on this sabbath. I hope you both feel better soon.

Jodi said...

As I wrote the post, I realized that fathers do the same thing indirectly. They go to work to earn an income that: feeds the hungry, clothes the naked, and provides healthcare to their families. Often, they do this without expressed appreciation.