10 November 2010

College Applications are now a Zinch

Yes, I am now more than a test score. Alright, here's what happened. Last month I had the chance to take a practice LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) for free, which is always a steal. However, I wasn't feeling so great about something. The morning of, I took some time to really ponder and pray about the feelings I was having, and felt that I shouldn't go take the LSAT, but put my focus in other areas. So, since that time I have applied for a few jobs, but with no avail.

Two weeks ago I received a forwarded email from a friend in Arkansas about a job in Lindon, a job using Chinese. I didn't know anything about it, but sent my resume to the person advertising the position. I received a phone call the next day. An interview set up for the day after. A Chinese phone interview for the day after that. Another phone interview the day after that. Another face-to-face interview the day after that. (If you kept track, that was five events in five days, from Monday to Friday). The following Monday I was offered the job. A few minutes later I accepted the job.

Alright, so that was the history. Now about the job.

Zinch is an online-based company that provides services to high school students, high school counselors and parents. They help students find the school they want to go to, assist in securing scholarships, and help schools find the kind of students they are looking for.

In April of this year Zinch launched into China, providing a few basic services to colleges and universities in the States. The first service is to provide schools with an understanding of how to recruit in China. This includes monthly newsletters about what is important to a Chinese family when choosing a university, rules and regulations about recruiting in China, etc. The second service is to actually go out and find students that match the criteria of the schools. This would include doing phone interviews with potential students to understand their backgrounds, and make recommendations to the schools accordingly. The third service is brand management. There are many people who claim to represent top schools in the States. They claim that, for a very high price, they can get you into the school of your choice. So Zinch China finds and reports such activities to the schools being falsely represented.

And now...What do I do? I am the International Customer Success Manager. I act as the liaison between the Zinch China team (made up mostly of Chinese natives, in China) and the clients (the colleges and universities). I make sure the wishes of the clients are relayed to the China team, and that those wishes are realized. I make sure the clients are successful.

Zinch is a young company, but one with great potential, especially since it was just made illegal for colleges and universities to hire recruitment agents, which we are not.

So, there it is in a nutshell :) If you have any questions, wait until I go through training, then you can ask.

1 comment:

James said...

I'll definitely have questions after you have answers. Congratulations!