03 November 2010

Blind Obedience

I know that sometimes members of the church are accused of blind obedience which I have never understood. How could anyone just blindly obey? Well, I had the opportunity to discover what this is like tonight. After a great day in Boston we headed towards Philadelphia following a set of directions that James printed off for me before we left. During the daytime following the directions is usually simple and often at night they are simple to follow and make a lot of sense. But tonight we drove near New York City to New Jersey following some more complex directions than I was used to in an area I was completely unfamiliar with. But I followed them and just trusted that they were correct. I will be honest that it was not a feeling that I liked. I like to be in control and know where I am going at all times, so just following a list on a piece of paper that seemed to not make sense was really rough for me. It probably didn't help that NY/NJ drivers scare me just a bit. So, what was my point, well I'm not really sure but I am pretty sure now that I do not blindly obey anyone as now I feel like I better understand what that would feel like. Though, I must admit that we did get exactly where we meant to, so while it was not ideal it did work, so in the end obedience does work. :)

3 comments:

James said...

Trust those good directions. :) Love you.

Mom said...

I love parables! Thanks. Pretty sure I'll get to use this in seminary some day!

Marquie said...

There was a quote I got in Book of Mormon:

"We are not obedient because we are blind, we are obedient because we can see” -President Packer

So I don't really think that applies fully, but it definitely applies to blind obedience and it reminded of it.