16 March 2010

Things I am grateful for

I know you haven't heard much from me since I spent all computer time working while in China but was glad that James did such a great job blogging. It was an amazing trip and loved every minute--thank you Justin and Jodi for making it awesome! James covered just about everything and so I will just say ditto to his blogs but add that I loved the food. I mean, after all, who doesn't love fried food! And I thought I would just add some things that I gained a greater appreciate for during my travels . . .
1. toilet--did anyone else know that the toilet does not exist everywhere in the world?
2. hot water --solar heat is a great idea but there are still some kinks that need to be worked out.
3. blow dryer--I assumed that every hotel had one or that Jodi had one. It is best not to assume.
4. central heat--a luxury that I take for granted.
5. toilet--I really do not think that holding a squat with your pants around your knees while trying to focus on other things is ok. But I bet Jillian Michaels would love this.
6. International Business Class--I never thought I could sleep for 8 hours straight on an airplane but that amazingly comfortable chair made it more than possible. Now if I can just get my internal clock back on Central time we will be good to go.
7. TOILET--did I mention this before? I must admit that I dehydrated myself to avoid using a squat toilet--not healthy but worth it. I did use one squat toilet and did not enjoy the experience. Urine on the floor is just gross!
8. Freedom of speech--While China is getting better I am grateful for the freedoms we have here in the USA.

So, I had a great trip and gained a greater appreciation for some of the luxuries that I have never had to live without. A win-win in my book!

Oh, and thank you Heather for watching the boys. I must ask though if you made omelets and smoothies? I keep getting requests for these. Hmmm . . .

Love you all!


2 comments:

Mom said...

Liz, in my short sojourn into China...just a few hours several years ago...I would say that the most memorable thing for me was also THE TOILET, or lack thereof. Not much difference in the last 20 years. I'm all about conveniences.

Heather said...

Smoothies yes, omelets no. I made eggs, but steamed them long enough that they weren't all gooey. That is probably what they are talking about. I have Michael's Sunday shoes too.