27 August 2008

First Week. . .

I was confused about this being my first week.  For me it is week 3 and week 4 and week 8 and week 1 and end of term grading, but I don't think that is what she was referring to or maybe it was.  Though, it was our first week with daddy gone and we did start school at home.  We set up a schedule together with the boys and they are very excited!  We have a little structure but a lot of freedom to just love learning!

I have really tried to not force them to do anything but to inspire them to want to learn.  Yesterday after cleaning up breakfast I headed upstairs and could just tell that they didn't want to stop playing for "school", so I tried to inspire them.  I pulled out a book and asked if anyone wanted to come and hear me read a story . . . like moths to a flame!  They came and we read some fun poems and fables and then started our handwriting.  We've really had fun with handwriting which has shocked me.  We do two letters each day and always practice and circle our best--which they apparently love.  Then, we always play a game where we find words that only use the letters we have learned so far.  Last night at dinner we were telling daddy about our new game and that tomorrow we were doing g and h and Michael said then we can use the word 'cabbage.'  We just about died.  Apparently it was Joshua's idea. . . it is a good thing they can read because they are already smarter than me and will need to learn from books.  :(    So, things are going well and we're having lots of fun.  Tomorrow we're learning about prehistoric life--after the dinosaurs . . . should be fun!

It is different not having daddy around but we're excited he has a real job and love supporting him!   Now we just have to pray that more people will audition!  

How is school for everyone else?

2 comments:

Justin said...

Thanks for your adventure sharing, Liz! I love hearing about your family and how your little ones are doing. I sure do miss them, please tell them hello from Uncle Justin!! (They still have a while before they get to find 'Justin' in a book :)

Mom said...

Thanks for the update Liz. You were right, I did want to hear about your first week with the kids. You could tell us how the college teaching is going, also.

It's so fun to hear about what you are doing! By the way, the letter game is very hard. Good thing your kids are so smart!