06 June 2015

Photos

Yeah, so here are some photos from my last week and a half or so, before I came home and our whole house got the plague…

Midtown from the top of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, One World Trade Center. My colleague and I were able to go up on opening day. 

Our trip to the top took so long that we almost missed dinner. Thankfully we didn't and I was able to savor this Cuban braised oxtail with potato and fried yucca. 

This is from the corner of one of the pools at the 9/11 Memorial. When Liz and I visited New York in April 2001, her Dad told us to meet him at this corner. We messed it up, of course, but this was the designated spot. 

I also visited the 9/11 museum, which was extremely interesting, quite beautiful, and surprisingly difficult. It's pretty intense, but I found it to be pretty therapeutic as well. It really helped me realize how I came into adulthood with 9/11 and how a great deal of my life is shaped by it.  I highly recommend it, although everyone will have a different experience with it. 

Liberty Enlightening the World. I'd never been here before. 

She has a front side too. 

The main hall at Ellis Island. I checked to see if Great Grandma Hutchings had come through here, but I think her arrival preceded Ellis, though may have still been through New York. She was not listed in the Ellis records. 

And, lest you think I was in New York and missed the theatre, I didn't. This is the opening drop from the third (of four) shows I saw last week, On the Twentieth Century, with Kristen Chenoweth. It was delightful. 

3 comments:

Jodi said...

It looks like you had a really wonderful time. The Oxtail looks amazing. I didn't know about that museum, I'd love to go.

Lynne said...

Just incredible. Especially that photo of the Statue of Liberty illuminating the world! Thanks for sharing!

Dad said...

What a trip. Thank you for sharing.