27 May 2010

A job

I wanted to tell you all that I got a job! It's only one hour per week, but I am still very excited about it. I get to help teach a 5th grader English. The pay is good, but I'm more excited about the challenge. Her last teacher was a native Chinese speaker who learned English as a second language and she got explanations in Chinese. Now, all of her explanations will be in English. Her English will improve because she doesn't have the crutch of using Chinese to understand English. The challenge for me is trying to explain things using the English she already knows. Yesterday was my first day and it went well. I can explain most things quite easily, using English explanations, hand motions and the little Chinese I know. I just had one major obstacle. For the life of me I couldn't explain what a law, law firm or lawyer were.

Anyways, just excited, and wanted to share.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Congratulations on the new job, Jodi! I bet you both learn a lot.

James said...

I'm so glad! I hope it's fun! Now if I could just find me a Chinese teacher to do the same for me. :)

Liz said...

That sounds like a great job! I hope you love it!

Michelle Packard said...

Sounds awesome! Have fun doing it and getting away. Love you!