25 May 2010

Firsts

Another post about Jaime's firsts, only this time, unanticipated and undesired firsts.

Tonight we attended an American style reception to welcome a U.S. Consulate General speaker from Shanghai. We were invited as native English speakers to help the English students practice their conversational English. Many girls wanted to hold our Jaime Lynne, and one lady insisted on holding her while Justin and I ate our American BBQ (yum!). Well, she ended up holding Jaime the entire evening. Most of the time I wasn't even aware of where she was at, since I was engrossed in English conversations with small crowds of people that gathered around me to ask questions. When she finally got back to Justin and I she had stains all over her shirt (from a tomato, no biggie), crumbs all over her face (from a cookie, NOT okay!) and a mosquito bite on her cheek. I kind of freaked out... I thought those stains were from the BBQ and that someone had fed her beef. Not as serious as I had thought, but still she hadn't been allowed flour, sugar or chocolate before tonight. It was hard to handle, but I had dealt with this before. Some ladies in Taiwan gave Jaime her first taste of real food without my knowledge or consent while I was in the temple.

When I got Jaime back in my arms she squirmed and fussed much more than when I had let her go. I chalked it up to the fact that I was just one person who wasn't exciting, as opposed to several Chinese girls gathered around her, all trying to make her smile, giving her toys and food. I don't know what I've gotten myself into.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I don't think I ever remember feeding my kids things I didn't want them to but I guess there are worse things. Much worse! :)