27 November 2008

Traditions

OK, I am still browsing pictures being nostalgic. I have been filled with joy as many memories from over the years have been rekindled. Here is one that spans four generations. It started with my grandpa Palmer. I was told that it came about in the spring when the family was working in the fields and grandma Palmer would bring the younger children and lunch to the fields for those working there. To get out of the wind they would go into the canal, which did not have water flowing yet, and have their lunch. A fire was built and hot dogs were roasted.

Throughout my growing up years this tradition was kept alive. I tried to find picture of those times but must not have them scanned yet. I have good memories of this tradition.

I am very grateful we took the opportunity to share that tradition with you, our children. You see, with all of the homes and subdivisions, the canal is never without water as it is the drainage for the area. Perhaps there could be a time you could pass on to the next generation if you could find a time when the canal did not have water in it. Or, when you won't get in trouble for having a fire!

1 comment:

Justin said...

Thanks for the fun memories, dad!