13 November 2008

In My Father's Footsteps

The above saying has been in my mind for several days now. As I prepared for my trip to Dubai, I did some map searching and realized that Dubai is very close to Pakistan. As I traveled to Dubai and contemplated the events of 50 years ago I was filled with wonder and awe.

I have traveled throughout the world, a "Traveling Salesman" so to speak. My father traveled throughout the western United States as a "traveling scientist" and on one occasion 50 years ago traveled to far away Pakistan as a representative of the United States Government. He was gone for four weeks and it took him a great deal longer to get to and from than it took me. So, how do I related to walking in my father's footsteps? Well, here are the points --

1- I do travel or have traveled greatly for a living. In fact, at times I have done exactly what my father did in leaving on Sunday or Monday and returning on Friday. I remember running to give him a hug as he pulled into the yard and I have wonderful memories of my children giving me hugs on my return from trips.
2- I have extended on the travels of my father just as he did of his father. My dad took only one international trip in his life, that being Pakistan. I have gone throughout the world.
3- This week I was close to Pakistan and I felt close to my father. I thought of him many times and wondered what awe he must have felt those long years ago seeing things so foreign to his "sheltered" life in Utah and the western US and the awe that I have felt in the many places I have been that are so different from my sheltered youth in Utah.
4- The impact my father had on people throughout the world because of his journeys was truly great. Whether it was in his Church service or his profession or just being a friend. Then I wondered what kind of an influence I have had because of my travels and who I am.
5- Where will my children journey in their lives and what will be their influence on mankind, either through Church service or professional service?

Well, I feel blessed to have such footsteps to follow and do hope the footsteps I am leaving will be a benefit and blessing to our family for years to come.

The picture is from a customer event that United hosted at the Air and Space Museum. I thought it fitting for this message as I remember many times my father speaking in public. Marquie, thanks for being the photographer.

1 comment:

Justin said...

You have some pretty deep footsteps, you have left your impression. You are cool. The picture says it all.