05 October 2008

Sacrilege

I did a bad thing; a very bad thing.  I modified the German pancake recipe and eliminated almost 30 points from the recipe.  Yes, I think in points; is there a problem?  The plus side?  They were STILL delicious.  I was quite afraid about the potential results, but I held on for dear life and said a little prayer that our Saturday night breakfast wouldn't be ruined.  On the contrary, it was delicious, and quite a hit with the boys at their first German Pancake experience.  Here's what we had (and yes, Dad, you can still eat these):

  • 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp.? salt (whatever the recipe says)
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 egg whites
Make it as usual.  When you cut it into 8, they are 4 points each (instead of the 8 they used to be!)  I dare you to try them.  They still rose high, they still sunk back down, and they were still eggy and delicious.  I enjoyed them plain, as is my long-standing favorite way to devour them.  Having not had them for so long, I couldn't tell any difference at all.  They were a little less yellow, but the flavor was right on for me.

By the way, why do we call them German pancakes?  And from whence did they come into our family?  I must know!

No comments: