13 October 2008

Podcast - the new radio

Lately I've taken up quite an interest in Podcasts.  There are podcasts for all sorts of things - news, book readings, random interesting subjects, and just about anything.  I like them because I get a new episode at least weekly from each one.  I also feel that the news podcasts are a little more down to earth than some of the more common media.  These are a few of them that I like and would recommend:

"The Classic Tales Podcast" - this one is a different reading each week of what the host feels are classic literary works.  The last one I downloaded was Jeckyll and Hyde

"This American Life" - This is my favorite one, but it's hard to explain - they basically pick an interesting phenomena each week and highlight it.  My favorite was one entitled "Enforcers" that talked about a group of Americans that scam Nigerian email scammers for fun.  It was very fascinating.

"LDS General Conference" - you can get this easily through iTunes store for free, and you can download any general conference session that you want, even ones from the past.

"NPR Planet Money Podcast" - this one just barely started up, and it's a daily catch up on what's going on in our nation's financial situation, and gives the nitty gritty details in a broken down way.

There are lots of other good LDS podcasts you can download, that have good talks and speeches.  It's a fun way to spice up your ipod if you get tired of listening to the same music over and over.

Oh yeah...I realize we haven't really posted in awhile.  Justin and I are working hard with school and work and church and everything going on.  Our life is pretty busy, and I'm sure most of you can relate.  This weekend was Julia's baby blessing and it was really wonderful.   A bunch of Bryce's family was there, and us and G&G Workman were there too.  When sacrament meeting started and it was getting time for the baby blessing, Grandma and Grandpa weren't there and Michelle said a little prayer that Grandpa would be able to be here to participate in the priesthood circle for the blessing.  Lo and behold, the bishop forgot to have the blessing during ward business, and it had to be postponed until after the sacrament.  Grandpa was here by then and it all worked out.  The bishop was embarrassed that he forgot, but Michelle politely explained that his forgetfulness was an answer to her prayer.

Other than that everything is basically normal.  Justin is a little stressed with the workload of the Flagship program, but finds solace in working at the MTC.  He really enjoys it, and just hopes that all of his future jobs give him just as much fulfillment.  He gets new set of missionaries next week, something that hasn't happened for 6 months now.  I'm working hard to not fall behind on my school work while I work for two professors.  TAing isn't that bad, except for the mountains of papers and tests to grade, and I wish I had more time to devote to the more fun research job and start interviewing immigrants for UCIP (Utah County Immigration Project).  If everything works out, I should get an ORCA (which means $), and have my name on a published paper by next year.  Lets hope for the best!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for the update and the advice!

Liz said...

Thank you for sharing! I didn't know you could download General Conference as a podcast. It is now on my ipod!