20 October 2008

My Gospel Study

Today, I began my study prep for teaching my young women class next Sunday (that's because last week it got to be Saturday before I even remembered I teach the young women on Sunday). Our lesson is on preparing for change. So, in my scripture study this afternoon I looked up the words "change" and "prepare" in the Triple Index. I came up with some interesting insights I would like to share with you.

First of all, "change". Mortality is all about change: change of heart, changed from a fallen state, changed from mortal to immortal. Also, God cannot change: "I change not", if God changed he would cease to be God. I thought it interesting that in order to reach the state of Godhood, our lives must involve change, but once we get there, we can change no more. I tried to recall if there has ever been change in my life that has not resulted in growth and development. I really couldn't recall anytime change has not greatly blessed my life, even if that change was difficult.

Now, "prepare". I noticed, as I read through the index on this one, that most of it involves God preparing a way: He prepares lands, gives commandments and prepares a way, prepares the atonement, prepares men's minds and hearts, and prepares the way for all men. Prophets and leaders also prepare: the way for the Lord. The Elders prepare the saints for judgment. Even angels get involved by crying prepare ye, prepare ye!

The few things that involve us preparing are: we must be stripped of our pride, labor diligently, bear afflictions that humble us and prepare us to hear the word. We must prepare our minds for the morrow, stand with our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel, gird up our loins, not fear (if we are prepared), accomplish the things which the Lord has commanded (which He of course, prepares the way for), bind up our testimony, pay our tithing and receive and obey instruction.

Thus we see that "this life became probationary state, a preparatory state, time to prepare to meet God."

The most profound thing, to me, as I studied, however, was to realize that the biggest part of preparation and change comes from the Lord. Change is mandatory for our exaltation and the Lord is there all the time preparing the way for us that we might accomplish that change.

Give the index a shot. See what you come up with!

No comments: