02 October 2012

My Colorado memory Tuesday

I have been in Denver for the last two days, and each time I come to Denver I am reminded of our time living here. I enjoyed our time in Elizabeth. A lot. And I am left with a great deal of memories, so many that I could never put them all here. But I can share one.

Elizabeth is where I found my love for football. In eighth grade while attending Elbert County Charter School, I decided I was going to play football. I really don't know why I decided to play, as I knew absolutely nothing about the sport. Maybe it is because I knew that once upon a time by Dad and big brother had played.

I would have to leave school early every day to make it to practice on time, and was thrown into a world I knew nothing about. Boys trying to be men. It was interesting, and I really didn't fit in. I don't remember how much I played, who we played, or even what position I played. But something began to stir inside me, and a love for the game was born. I played four more years after my inaugural season, and gave up the chance to continue to play in college.

I still love to watch football, and enjoy it with my wife and kids. And I am a proud father when my daughter squats down, clenches her fists, and growls "FOOTBALL."

1 comment:

Dad said...

I do remember getting you to practice and attending the games in far places around Denver.