03 September 2009

Reflections on Marriage


I know I am new at this whole marriage thing, but a thought struck me the other night that I would like to share.

We've been married for 1 year, 3 months and 12 days. When I think back to when we first got married (yes, I realize that someday I will be referring to the current time as "when we first got married") I remember how hard it was. It was hard to get to know each other, to love the things about each other that we didn't even know were there beforehand, and life wasn't always fun. When I think about that time I realize that a year ago I had no idea what level of satisfaction in marriage was possible. I didn't know what it was going to feel like in our happy times that we have now. In thinking about how much changed and how much happier we've become I can't help but think about how much more our satisfaction with each other can grow! What a happy thought that is. If I had no idea what level of satisfaction I could have with our marriage only a year ago, it thrills me to think about the levels of satisfaction that are ahead of us.

It's times like these that I awe at Heavenly Father's plan for his children. He only wants happiness for us, true happiness and no fake substitute. The only way to find true happiness is to work hard and live your life in harmony with His commandments. Happiness is so much more frequent and so much greater when we're living our lives with exact faithfulness. I don't think that's a coincidence.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I learned this week that the plan of salvation/happiness is really the plan of families. I mean, something I knew but had not absorbed. It's all about families. "...men are that they might have joy!" through the "plan of families!"

James said...

Jodi, you're right on—it will only increase from here. Isn't it interesting how in our frame of reference it's hard to believe that the past ever existed? I can't even imagine that Liz and I were ever in that "why can't you read my mind?" phase, but I know we were. Your thoughts made me happy this morning—thanks!