21 September 2009

Baby Shower

It was great! That's all you wanted to know right? right...

Well, it took place Saturday morning - exactly one month before my due date. We had delicious food and lots of it - cinnamon rolls, orange rolls, raspberry rolls, blueberry rolls, muffins, coffee cake, fruit, fruit dip, orange juice and chocolate milk - the leftovers of which are in our kitchen and Michelle's :). We started with breakfast and then began games. The attendees searched through baby magazines looking for "baby hutchings." Some cut out whole heads or bodies, while others pieced together faces or entire bodies by combining images. At the end I chose what baby hutchings will actually look like. I got to choose two, and my choices ended up being the most adorable baby in the bunch and a black baby. I got a kick out of that one. Each baby also came with a guess for her name. We informed everyone that her name was not amongst the list. If her name had been, the winner would have received a prize after her birth. (Yes, her name is already chosen, and even carved in wood - a name plaque we've been working on for her.) Attendees also got to take each other's baby trinkets when they heard someone say the word "baby" and whoever had the most at the end got a prize. I spent most of this time greeting and mingling. Then, it came time for presents. I opted to have Justin open them all up, and I think most people enjoyed that. People also seemed to enjoy when a present was opened and I proceeded to ask "what is this used for...?" (examples: strangely shaped Q-tips and "nighttime" desitin, I asked "does it put them to sleep?"). The main things we got were the porta-crib we registered for (compliments of the Workman family), the bouncer seat we wanted, some diapers and wipes, and a bunch of clothes. One of my favorite clothing items was a ballerina set, complete with little girl tutu. So cute.
Then, all were excused and the party ended!

How was that for a recount? Oh, and to answer Liz's question, the only things we can honestly think of that we still need are a carseat, a few bottles, and lots more diapers. The good news is that my sister Jerilie is not currently using her infant carseat and can lend it to us for the time before we go to China. We won't be needing a carseat in China (we're thinking baby carriers and clasping the poor child to our chest in those questionable taxis). Jerilie was also kind enough to lend me a baby sling and moby wrap. When we get back, we'll probably purchase a non-infant carseat. We won't need a stroller or high chair until we've been in China for a bit and we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thank you Michelle for a wonderful baby shower! I really wish the rest of you could have been there (Mom, Marquie, Heather, and Liz).

4 comments:

Mom said...

So do we wish we could have been there! How many people came? It sounds like it served it's purpose well!

Jodi said...

I'm guessing between 20-30 people.

Bryce said...

And me

Mom said...

Good job, Bryce! Way to be supportive!