24 September 2015

Reflections on Freedom

This year I have flown more than 100,000 miles to-date, more than I have ever traveled before. My time on the road has provided opportunity to be exposed to diverse peoples, perspectives, and cultures. I have learned many lessons from these experiences. Perhaps some of these lessons could be valuable to you in some way. I will share a few, including a brief reflection on the freedoms we enjoy in the United States of America.


Freedoms
Each time I travel to China, I am harshly reminded of the marvelous and immeasurable freedoms we are blessed to enjoy as citizens of the United States of America. From freedom of expression to freedom to move about, each such removed privilege is felt in a painful way. I hope not to shed a negative light on China or its people. I love them deeply, beyond what my simple words can express. This is not a reflection on what they don't have, so much as it is a reflection on what we do have.

What is most poignant to me in reflecting on this trip revolves around trust. While some may disagree on this point, I feel I am trusted as a citizen in the US, which has a myriad of consequences. A few of the things I missed: I am free to move about my state or country without designated permission. I am free to access untold amounts of digital information without tying it to my identity. I am free to share my thoughts on any given topic, uncensored, in public forums without fear of repercussion. I am free to speak with whom I wish about what I wish.

Each of these freedoms is based in the trust that is given me by the tenants of our foundation. In the absence of trust we are thrust into an inhuman experience, where we are pinned against one another, abused by the powers that fear dissent, and thwarted in our desires to truly live.

Yes, that is right. A barbecue joint in Beijing. And let me say, it is better than most places I have been in the US. Has become a must-stop for me, and helps remind me of home :)
Flight
Having spent almost an entire week floating above the clouds, I have had opportunity to reflect on the miracle of flight. For millennia man looked to the heavens and wondered what it had to offer, having only the creatures of the air to fuel their imaginations. And here I am 39,000 feet above the face of the earth, rocketing through the air at 600 miles per hour. Having grown up flying, I don't know that I was ever struck with the pure awe of flying until I took the time to reflect on its inception and its power for good. I can imagine no other way that flight could have been realized without divine revelation.

When I fly it almost exclusively to conduct business. Yet I gain so much more than business engagement. I meet new people, explore cultures, share insights, and learn life lessons. Perhaps my favorite time flying comes as I look out over the grand expanse of space and ponder on things above the frivolity of our world. Today I stared in awe at God's painting in the sky, splattered in the deepest oranges, pinks, and other untold colors (some day I'll see them). Then to peer into the deep darkness of the night sky, illuminated by stars and galaxies untold. And to be awakened (physically, emotionally, and spiritually) by the brightness of the morning sun creeping in to push away the darkness of the long night. Brilliance peering over the clouds to bring a fresh day.

I was treated to a local breakfast by one of my friends. A rather spicy soup, flat break, and pork and noodle stuffed bread. It was simply amazing.
Everyone is a Teacher
I like to think that I sometimes have a grasp on life, that perhaps I know what is going on. Then I am reminded that I don't! I spent the last two weeks traveling with a diverse group of people, spending upwards of 18 hours a day with them. I was the leader, the one in charge, the one who knew everything. And yet how little I really knew. As I took the time to talk, it created opportunity to listen. And when I listened I learned. I learned from each person I spent time with. They unknowingly taught me life lessons, answered soul-searching questions, and provided foundation for contemplation and personal exploration. Everyone can be a teacher if you let them be yours.

The beach in Qingdao, China. It was beautiful, though not a place I would want to swim :) The best part was what we found on the rocks... brides, brides and more brides! There were at least 20 bridal shoots going!
The Power of Family
While I have been away, I have felt the power of family, the power of prayer, the power of love. I appreciate and treasure the love and support of our family. It is an anchor for me and my little family. Thank you.
A quick small-boat tour on West Lake in Hangzhou China. West Lake is said to have formed from the tears of a broken-hearted lover. There is obviously more to the story... To get a boat, you had to stand on shore and try to convince the boat captain that he should pick you instead of the other 40 people standing there. I was fortunate enough to have a lovely colleague with us who persuaded (can we say) with her looks.
My travels for the year are not over, with my next departure coming in just a few days, and another extended venture to China in October. With each departure comes the chance to learn and explore the world around me, and hopefully thereby become a better person and better conduit to perform the work of God.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Beautiful Justin. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Dad said...

Son, thank you so much for your insight. I can related to many, but not all of the things you have shared. Of particular note are the thoughts on freedom and on learning.