22 October 2014

Recent Church Videos

I am curious as to the family's thoughts as to why the church has created a video to inform the world as to the sacredness of our clothing.  Why now?  Is the general membership insecure enough in our covenants we make that we feel we cannot talk about them.  Yes I have been asked why I wear a "special underwear" but I have never felt inadequate in my response as to what it is and why I wear it.  Please don't get me wrong.  I am not criticizing the church.  I love the church with all my heart.  But after these recent YouTube videos, it appears to my that the "church" feels like I have never had the courage or resources to explain the garment to others.  Why is it that something we should hold sacred seems to be "dumbed down" for the masses?  Please I am not criticizing anyone's likes or dislikes of these videos.  I just though it would be better to ask family before I Facebook it.  Really want to know your thoughts.

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Joe, I would say, normally, people who criticize and make fun of the "magic underwear" do not have a good lds member like you to explain it to them. This was a big deal when Romney was running for president. So, in order to un-magic-ize the temple garment, the church put out a beautiful and simple video to explain the sacredness of our apparel. I thought it was very well done!

Dad said...

Son, great question and I appreciate you coming to family to discuss. That is what families are for. I do recommend you refrain from posting on facebook.

Mom has provided wonderful insight that I believe is inspired and respectful. I have another take that I was going to comment to Justin's post. I will put it here. First, this is a topic that mom and I have been personally addressing since our childhood. It is a question that is inherent to everything that is different. We are a different people, we are peculiar and must continue to be. Second, not addressing the "interest" or 'questions" raised by those no of the faith only deepens the questions or curiosity and fosters less trust. It is a function of opposition against the work. Third, opening the door to understanding helps open the door to teaching.

When we are together I would like to share more of my personal experiences on this topic. I believe you and I will have a delightful discussion.

Again, thank you for raising to the family. Love you and hope you are healing.

Liz said...

I must admit that I have never been asked about wearing garments, ever. Maybe there is something wrong with me??? But for me personally I like having something simple to refer friends to if they have questions. Not that I mind answering questions such as these but I am not really good with words and having a video like this is really helpful to me. Or it is something I could post that my friends might watch and learn from even if they never would have been bold enough to ask on their own. Just my thoughts!

Jodi said...

I hadn't watched it until just now. So, thanks for the invitation!

I really liked it. I think it puts it into perspective by talking about other religions that wear religious clothing.

Also, the world is changing so much. Online videos are actually a really good way to disseminate material these days. It will reach more people, who may not have a good enough LDS friend to ask about garments.