18 June 2012

Sole or Soul and What is Really Important

Michelle asked about the basis of my misuse of "sole" in my post yesterday.  Here is the history.  When I joined the United Passenger Sales staff I set myself a goal to be recognized as the salesman of the year.  At that time the company recognized the "of the year" individuals from all the departments.  Gave them recognition, money and actually made a permanent imprint on the service pins.  With the closing of the automation sale with the LDS Church I was in line for this recognition but alas, the company felt it was too expensive to recognize their employees in this manner and instead just got a whole bunch of people together, made them feel good and gave them a clock.  I never used the clock and in fact have thrown it away because it brings such sadness.  Mom sensed my hurt and rallied the family, went to Deseret Industries, bought an old trophy, put an aluminum foil name plate on it and had all the kids do something special for me.

When I walked in the door mom took me directly to the sofa and told me to sit down.

All of you presented your "gifts" or recognition to me.  I still remember fighting back the tears.  Michelle's was a poem that I have kept and actually transcribed exactly how she wrote it (I have added the emphasis on sole for this: post)


---DAD---

We hope this poem is comforting to your mind, heart and sole!
We know that this has been a rough and tough, but we want you to know, you’re the greatest person we’ve ever know!

Not many people can be a bishop like you, who hear the problems of old and new.
Your great heart and patience is a great quality of you!

We know this week has had a disappointment or two.
We know how hard you worked to get here.
But now your the best salesman United has ever seen!
So don’t feel bad about that one little thing!

Now other person on earth is as good a father as you!
Your always there no-matter what we do,
through the yelling, shouting, and sprained ankles to,
You’ve always stayed cool!

We want you to know,
no-matter how things go!
WE LOVE YOU,
AND ALWAYS WILL!

For all these things you’ve done,
Like being a Salesman, Bishop and Daddy to,
we have a little token for you!

We Love You
From Us to You

That night I knew that it really didn't matter if United thought I was good enough to be the salesman of the year, my family did and I came to understand, that was all that really mattered.

4 comments:

Justin said...

The awards are still yours Dad, and ever will be. Thanks for being the best Dad we could have ever had.

Heather said...

I still remember the night too. Guess we really meant it to remember it so long.

James said...

I remember, too, and I was in my most selfish teen years, so there's evidence of how much you really mean to us, Dad. :)

Michelle Packard said...

Yep, I remember it as well, thanks for the reminder. I believe we serenaded you with a little..."Did you ever know that your my hero?" Just so you know Dad...you are still one of my heroes. Love you.