07 May 2008

Sorry to be Slow

It seems time is getting away from me, and it is true as I hear the clock strike midnight. I have gotten more sleep the last few nights than I have in a while (strong council of my wonderful Bishop). James was right when he said you just have to set a curfew, not for necessarily for moral reasons, but for the sake of health and sanity. That and life is much better together when we are not tired. There is so much potential for stress, but we are doing so well (just so much better when we are not tired).

I was waiting to give any details about our apartment until we took some pictures of it; however, I find myself still wanting. So, here it is. We are just across from Gold's Gym, just north of the Shell gas station. We are one of three-plex (we have met the Moses family, but have yet to meet the couple on the other side...I know, their door is only fifteen feet away from ours...). The living room and kitchen take up the front of the apartment, leaving one feeling like they are in a spacious cavern with the vaulted ceilings above. It is outdated and has green linoleum from the '70s, which is covered with industrial carpeting (same as the bathroom). The refrigerator is from the stoneage...one of those with the icebox inside the top of the fridge. The cupboards have mismatched handles on them, and one door has a white line painted around it (I guess someone thought it would be fun to experiment...BAD IDEA!). As you work your way back you are met with two bedrooms, one with two closets, which will be our bedroom, and another with only one, which will be our office. The bathroom was disgusting, but thanks to Bryce and Michelle, it is looking pretty good, new light fixture and all (special thanks to Bryce). The walls throughout the house look almost like they have a pepper finish from the many nails that have been removed both by us and former tenants. We are in the process of fixing that. Then we are going to paint. Hope the landlord doesn't mind us taking the cost of paing and supplies out of our rent! The apartment was filthy. It is in the process of getting better, it just takes a lot of time. They say they are going to rennovate the place, but they aren't going to for at least the time we are living there, and that is looking to be for another year and a bit. I don't want pepper-textured walls, nor do I want to live in a place where I feel dirty. I just can't do it. We are fixing it. Again, hope the landlord is good with all this!! (He has been slow in returning our emails, and he doesn't like to talk on the phone with us. Text and email is all he does.)

2 weeks and a day, now, as it is Wednesday. Coming to Chicago tomorrow (hopefully there are no complications with the bloodclot in my arm...I would hate to have to drive). We will post pictures of the apartment when we get around to taking them. James, can you help us paint when you get here? I here you are leaving Sunday to drive? I would love some time with you, and I know you are good painter, too!

No comments: