02 November 2014

A China Adventure

I visited two different sections of the Great Wall. I believe this takes my count up to 10 times on the Great Wall of China. That is enough!

In true China fashion, there were a few good air days, and quite a few hazed pus and toxic days. And this was actually one of the better days!

I love the architecture and history of the Forbidden City. Fifth time? Enough. 

This is what I really love in China -- people in their element. Nothing touristy about a morning vegetable market laid out on the side of the road. The masses don't have refrigerators, so they purchase everything fresh the morning of. 

As part of my trip to China, I had the chance to take a few days down south in the Guangzi Province. I have always wanted to see the rice terraces. Got my chance. Sadly we visited just after harvest. Still breathtaking. Farming on the side of a mountain. 

A picture from the iconic Li River. A 70km boat tour was lovely, indeed. 
We paid a visit to this sweet woman who is the 14th generation to live in her home. It was an old home (300+ years). She is proudly standing in front of her coffin.

A coworker invited me to have lunch with he and his girlfriend in their home. It was on the outskirts of the city, but was worth every minute of the two hour cab ride. The best company and food enjoyed while in China. This couple's apartment is a mere 150 square feet, and it is all they can afford between the two of them. Helps put things into perspective when your kitchen is bigger than someone's entire home. 

This was a long trip with a diverse itinerary. I'm glad to be going home. It is always the most exciting part of the trip!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

What a wonderful adventure! I visited the Great Wall once. That was enough. I walked through the Forbidden City once. That was enough. I come home often. That is never enough! So happy your on your way home!

Liz said...

I'm glad you got to do more than just the normal touristy things. Do you think you'll have to go back again? I'm guessing you're not the only one happy it is time to come home. :)