16 April 2010

Do you Believe in...

There is a song from the 60's entitled "Do you Believe in Magic". Over the past four days, while I insert the word "Miracles", I do have to believe. As you know, my travel has picked up and I went on what will be the first of three EMEA trips in six weeks on Tuesday evening. The trip was to have started on Sunday evening but a conference precluded a departure until Tuesday and took Paris off the itinerary. Before leaving on any international trip, I always ask mom if she has bad feelings. I think it goes back to my 1991 Hawaii trip...

Well, she was fine but I had some feelings and after discussing with her and praying about it, determined no reasons to not go. While there I didn't have any bad feelings so set the ponderings aside until last evening after I arrived home.

When I arose yesterday and jumped onto the computer, yes that is what I do when traveling, I discovered that my flight was canceled as were all other PM UA flights departing LHR. I determined to take the 12:00 flight as it still had seats. A miracle of it's self. So, we postponed the afternoon sales call and went to the 10:00 call. Pretty close you say? When we arrived we were advised by the LHR sales office that the flight was on a 12:45 decision. at 10:05 we received a call advising the flight had been moved up to 11:30. Well, I didn't panic and went ahead with our presentation figuring we were close enough to Heathrow that there would be no problems making the flight.

Well, at 10:30, as we were finishing the formal portion of the presentation, we received another call advising the flight had again been pushed up, this time to 11:15. OK, now it was time to move. I got a ride to the terminal, that was, by-the-way, empty, and sailed through security. Arrived at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure where the staff were hurrying people onto the aircraft.

To the chase, we were the last flight out of Heathrow yesterday and we made is 3 minutes before they closed the airport. At this point in time, it is unknown when Heathrow will reopen and North Atlantic traffic will resume. As mom and I talked last evening about the day, my feelings of earlier in the week came to me and I commented to mom that the issue with getting home on time was what was unsettling me. I am fully at peace.

Why the miracle? Well, you see, tomorrow is prom, it is the last prom and I really didn't want to miss it. Not just Marquie's last prom mind you... Love Dad

2 comments:

James said...

I was wondering about you and your trip not more than an hour ago. I'm glad you made it back.

Justin said...

Didn't even know you were gone, though I had the feeling to call you yesterday! Glad you are home safe!