06 July 2012

Super 4th

We had not had rain in a whole week!  A whole week since our tropical storm which gave rain for a week straight.  Well, it came back on July 4th.  Figures.  We had planned to go to the beach, picnic, and watch fireworks.  Last year we ran for cover at the first sign of a storm.  (Sorry Marquie)  So, we vowed not to miss beach fireworks again.  We packed our dinner, jammies, and towels.  We ran to the car, turned on the wipers, and took off.  I know, but I enjoy a little crazy.  To our great satisfaction, it was not raining at the beach, nor did it.  We enjoyed 2.5 hours of water play, then a beautiful sunset.  As soon as the sun disappeared, the fireworks began.  All up and down the beach cities and people were setting them off.  It was out of control.  The kids kept spinning around trying to watch them all.  After an hour and a half, we gave up and went home.  I don't think I have ever seen so many fireworks.  It was fantastic.  Next, year, we are hoping to rent a boat to see the fireworks.

Next day, we picked up our exchange student.  Her name is Ane, 14, and she is from Bilbao Spain.  She will be staying with us until the end of July.  So far, it is great.  She plays with the kids and hangs out with the girls.  They love her.  She was pretty excited about us being mostly vegan.  Said now she won't get fat while she is here! 

Oh wait, I didn't tell some of you.  After some research, we have decided to eliminate all casein from our diet.  This means no meat (yes this means eggs too), except fish, and no dairy.  We also don't do soy protein.  We have not yet completely cut out butter, but I am learning to cook without it.  I found some great new cookbooks to help me on the way.  I have learned to make super yummy cheese out of cashews and my own rice milk.  I have a recipe for vegenaise and cream cheese I am going to try too.  I look forward to making all sorts of things once the kids are in school.  I am happy to report, after two weeks, everyone has seen a difference.  David is sleeping through the night almost all the time, April no longer has any heartburn (it was chronic before), Chloe no longer gets leg cramps (a nightly occurrence before), my stomach doesn't bother me, everyone has lost weight that needed to, and we are happier.  Everyone has more energy too.  April also said she has been able to control her temper better.  It is truly amazing to me what healthy eating can do!

Hope you enjoyed my not so quick update.  Maybe next time you will get pictures!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

That is amazing! Congratulations!