01 July 2012

Do you remember my tortillas?

Now you might be asking the question,"Why the title question?"  The answer is....wait for it.............................................................................................................................

They have changed.

Changed you say?  Why change something so delicious, so divine?  Why ruin the "ambrosia of the gods"?

Well let me tell you...  It is worth it.

100% Whole Wheat  Yep, that's the secret.  But that doesn't work you say!  They would be too dry!  That's ludicrous.

Well you are partially right.  What I have delayed telling you is the secret to making it work.

Is it love?  Is it desire?  It it faith?  Nope it is none of these things.

Are you ready for it?  Once I tell you this, anyone can make them.  I might even teach my girls.  Hah!  If I did that, maybe I wouldn't ever have to make them again.  They could do it.

One can dream, can't he?

Now you are probably ready to throw something at your screen.  Go ahead...if it'll make you feel better...especially if it is an Apple product in which you are reading this post.

Don't worry, I am only kidding..........somewhat.

Ok, here goes.

GLUTEN!!!  Yep....You probably already knew that (James) didn't you.  Well I didn't but we figured it out.

Now I imagine 2 things.  One, you want the recipe, or two, you don't care because I offended your apple product.

Well here it is, just in case the second didn't happen.

8 cups of 100% Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup gluten
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
1 1/4 cup of any oil. (I now use canola oil)
Hot water.  It no longer has to be boiling.  Hooray!!!

Step 1.  Mix thoroughly the dry ingredients.
Step 2.  Add the oil and mix very thoroughly.  This is key.  You want the oil evenly dispersed.  If you choose to use shortening or lard, you still must use boiling water.  Sorry.
Step 3.  Mix in the hot water at about a cup at time.  Usually around 3.5 to 4 cups.  Play it by ear.  It should have the consistency of pie crust dough.

Last's it.  Just roll it out into what ever shape you can manage.  I am now cheating.  I have a tortilla press.  It makes perfect 5-6" tortillas every time.

Now cook them on a 400 degree skillet.  Make sure that the skillet is heated to 400 degrees before you put on the first one, or the first couple are harder to flip.

That's it.  There is my secret and my life's work summed up in one dreadfully long blog post.  If you made it to the end, I congratulate you.

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny,  Bricken Bracken Firecraken, Bisk boom bah!  "Joe's Tortillas, Joe's Tortillas" Rah...Rah..Rah!!!  (It's a cheer that he did in one of his cartoons)

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Thanks for the recipe! I bought some lard for these and hadn't taken the time to rake through old blog posts to find the recipe. 100% whole wheat, woohoo!

Michelle Packard said...

Joe, I think that is the most amusing and entertianing post you have ever written. I love it!