02 June 2011

Year 18... How Many More?

Yes, this is my 18th year umpiring softball. It is hard to imagine my life without it and even more hard to understand my quirky start.
  • 1992 -- Moved to Utah where Heather and Michelle started playing softball
  • 1993 -- Coached because the coaching was so bad
  • 1994 -- Started to umpire because...
  • 1995 -- The first year (and last) that I umpired in Grantsville
  • 2000 -- First National Invitation. Declined for a wedding
  • 2009 -- First National Tournament
  • 2010 -- Declined National Tournament for a trip to China
  • 2011 -- Accepted National Tournament. May get a second
  • 2011 -- Tonight -- Region Semi Final game. Now qualified to go to State in Virginia
As you all know, there are many, many more markers and milestones mixed in those dates. I just wanted to share that today I took a very important step to one of my goals in umpiring.

You see, for some reason, it is getting harder, physically, to participate in this avocation that I really do enjoy. So I decided that I should determine just want I wanted to shoot for and determined there are a few things:
  • Be good at what I do. Ask mom
  • Umpire with my family. Every one of our children has registered and umpired or planned to umpire with me
  • Umpire a State High School Tournament
  • Join the ASA National Indicator Fraternity
I have completed the first two. The third can not happen until next year but because of tonight, I am considered qualified. The last requires three national tournaments. I have one, one this year (maybe two). So, I am hopeful that in 2012 I can reach these goals.

So, what happens then? Ask me then. Most likely I will have a hard time walking away, I do enjoy it. Love you all.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Yeah, you'll have a hard time walking away because your knees won't work. Dad, I enjoyed every game I did with you. You taught me to be good. I don't remember much of it, but your example taught me a great deal about striving to be the best at what I do. Thank you. Go get that state tournament!