08 May 2011

Mother's Day

I think Mother's Day is a rather complex holiday. Somehow I think that "Mother" is an understated example of all that we appreciate on this fine day. It's like righteous pride—we know when we feel it, but we don't have a word for it. On a day like today, I'm definitely grateful for my mother, but also for my wife, my sisters, my wife's mother, and women everywhere who make this world the joy that it is. I'd say it's a celebration of women, but all too often I am reminded that woman doesn't mean the same thing as it always has, and therefore, I think it remains too broad a focus. As you see, there is not single spotlight on which to shine a day like today and I am stymied.

Now that I've rambled through my thoughts on the matter, I believe I have come to an apt solution, a renaming of the day that I will preface with the words of President Hinckley: "Woman is God’s supreme creation . . . Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth.”

I have come to the conclusion that, to me, Mother's Day cannot be simply a celebration of mothers, or an attempt to make women feel special, regardless of their station, but it is, in its essence, an opportunity to celebrate, honor, and glorify womanhood.

As I sat through quite a nice sacrament meeting today, I pondered on the traits of glorious womanhood exemplified by the women in my life that I celebrate here today.


This one is feisty. She suffers long, and is busy in good works all the day long. She compromises for no one, and defends her sacred charges without hesitation and without regret. She serves endlessly and has a special ability to know what people need, sometimes before they even recognize it themselves.


This one is tranquil. She faces the world head on, but with joy every moment. She brings peace into the perilous situations, and never settles for something good when she can have something better. She is patient and kind, and has no guile.


Of all my sisters, I think this is the one with whom I have the most in common. This is one earnest and sincere, never hesitating and ever vigilant. She is aware, both learned and teachable, and glories in knowledge and truth.


This one is in the dawn of her womanhood, having practiced and patiently learned from those around her. She is sincere, earnest, and full of love. She envies not, but understand her own role in her life and in the lives of others. She desires only the best and is willing to sift through the rubble to find it as she becomes the woman she wants to be.


This one is is the light of my every day. She is strong, tenacious, and never, ever compromises on the important things. She is close to the spirit, and understands, better than most around her, the role of a woman in our Father's plan. She is steadfast in keeping the commandments, and patient with those who aren't. She is valiant in her callings and glories in motherhood. One of our favourite sayings is that she's a gentle mama bear until someone crosses her cubs.


This one is my mom. She is the woman who patiently, lovingly, serenely guided me through my ridiculous life until the previous woman could pick up and fix the rest. She is serene, full of peace and joy, and, as I've learned as an adult, opinionated in all the right ways. It is curious to me that for so many years, I never knew what my mom thought about insignificant things, but I always knew where she stood on the big issues. One of the great joys of my adulthood has been the opportunity to know my mother as a person rather than as a mother. She's a great mom, but she's a dynamite woman, and a pleasure every moment. I believe she is the very embodiment of Proverbs 31, for truly strength and honor are her clothing, she opens her mouth with wisdom, but eats not the bread of idleness. Perhaps most importantly, her children rise up and call her blessed, for so great is her influence upon them, that their lives are rich and full because they are the people she taught them to be.

Women in my life: I hope this is a day in which you feel the true wonder and beauty of your womanhood. Though it is an inadequate felicitation, Happy Mother's Day, beautiful women.

4 comments:

Lynne said...

I started crying with the first picture and am still crying. What a marvelous tribute to the women in your life! Thank you.

Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dad said...

Those that know, know. Those that don't, don't. Son, you truly know.

Michelle Packard said...

Thanks James, it is so sweet!