05 April 2012

Theatre and Life

I think the idea of a dress rehearsal is awesome. I mean, how often do you get to try something out, give it your all, and then have another chance just to make sure it's as good as it can be? Not often, I say.

As I was pondering on the great opportunity of the rehearsal, I realized that every day of our lives is like a dress rehearsal. Every day we're striving to make it absolutely perfect, but, ultimately, it won't be. Luckily, our life's tomorrows are not opening night; they are simply another dress rehearsal. One day our works will be laid open and we'll be openly judged, but until that day, I'm going to keep enjoying my cycle of do overs. I take notes on what went well and what needs to be improved, and then the next day I try to incorporate those changes into the things that I do and hope that things go better, look better, feel better. The idea also incorporates beautifully in Pres. Packer's allegory of the 3 act play. Boo-yah. Theatre metaphors make the world go round (this week.)

So, there are my thoughts. Can you tell that my life currently revolves around a single, rather theatrical point? Tonight's our dress rehearsal and tomorrow is our opening. I wish you could all be here for my first fully produced show, but I know you're doing great things where you are. I love you and miss you!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Love the thought! I wish I could always keep that perspective.